Home Remedies For Acne: Top 10
1) Turmeric – A powerful anti-inflammatory ingredient found in turmeric root.
It helps to reduce inflammation and redness caused by acne. You can use it in your daily life such as cooking or taking tea. It is very effective at treating acne, especially blackheads and whitehead.
2) Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is one of the most popular natural treatments for acne.
It works as a mild exfoliant and helps to clear up blemishes. However, lemon juice may cause some irritation to sensitive skin so avoid using it if you have eczema or other skin conditions.
3) Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil is another potent ingredient used in many home remedies for acne.
It reduces swelling and inflammation caused by acne.
4) Peppermint Oil – Peppermint oil is a strong antibacterial ingredient that helps to treat acne.
It also helps to prevent breakouts from occurring in the first place.
5) Ginger Root – Ginger root contains gingerols which are powerful ingredients against acne.
They work as topical antiseptics and help to treat pimples effectively without causing any side effects.
6) Apple Cider Vinegar – ACV is well-known home remedy for treating a wide range of skin conditions including acne.
It can be very effective. Dilute 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup water. Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it to the affected area.
7) Coconut Oil – It helps to eliminate dry skin which acts as a protective layer over the skin and prevents the acne medicine from penetrating the skin.
Warm a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil and massage gently into the skin.
8) Aloe Vera – Aloe vera is known for its excellent healing properties and it has been successfully used to treat skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and of course acne.
It also helps to reduce inflammation and redness caused by acne.
9) Green Tea – Drinking green tea helps to prevent pimples from forming in the first place.
It contains powerful antioxidants that help to eliminate free radicals from the body.
10) Olive Oil – It is a natural moisturizer and helps to prevent dry skin which acts as a protective layer over the skin and prevents the acne medicine from penetrating the skin. It also has some antimicrobial properties.
How To Get Rid Of Pimples Overnight Naturally At Home
Most people don’t have time for expensive and demanding skin care routines that require multiple steps and take a long time. If you’re one of them, then you should know that you don’t have to go through life with acne anymore because there are many natural, effective ways to get rid of pimples overnight.
Fortunately, there are many over the counter treatments or methods which can help prevent pimples from forming in the first place. Also, you can find various other effective ways to get rid of pimples overnight using common household products that you can prepare by yourself.
Remember not to try all of these at once. Find the solution that works for you and stick with it. This way your skin won’t become immune to it and it will work properly.
Warnings to Remember:
Anytime you are trying a new medicine, treatment or home remedy for the first time, your skin may react differently. It may or may not work for you. Just because something worked for your friend or sibling, doesn’t guarantee that it will work for you too.
Also, your skin type change as you grow too. What worked for you before, may not work for you now.
So before applying anything on your skin, always do a patch test to ensure that you won’t have an allergic reaction to it.
If in any doubt, consult a dermatologist instead.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an excellent treatment for oily skin. it can remove oil and other bacteria from your pores, thus preventing the formation of pimples. It can also absorb excess oil if you have already formed a pimple.
All you need to do is mix baking soda with water to form a paste and apply it on your pimple. You can also use unfiltered apple cider vinegar instead of water to increase drying effects. Leave the paste on overnight and wash it off in the morning.
Cetaphil is an affordable, gentle over the counter cleanser that can prevent pimples from forming and also get rid of those that have already formed. It removes impurities and dead skin cells that clog your pores, without causing any adverse effects to your skin.
All you need to do is wash your face with warm water and Cetaphil cleanser in the morning and before you go to bed. Always use a gentle, soft cloth or your hands to rub the cleanser instead of a face brush to prevent irritation and scratches.
Honey has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. It is antiseptic in nature, meaning it prevents infection and promotes healing. It also prevents excess shedding of skin cells and absorbs excess oils.
It is also slightly acidic, which helps to keep the pH level of your skin below 5.5, which is the ideal pH level to reduce the growth of bacteria that cause acne.
Wash your face with warm water and honey every morning and before you go to bed. You can either mix honey with a little lemon juice to enhance its effect or use it on its own.
4. Green Tea
Green tea is a natural antioxidant and it can help to reduce redness and inflammation of pimples. It is also a natural astringent that tightens your skin by drawing moisture out of it. However, you should not overdo green tea as it may have the opposite effect and actually cause your skin to dry, leading to cracks and bleeding of the skin, especially if you have excessively dry skin.
Caffeine has been found to reduce the size of the oily glands in your skin. It can also temporarily prevent your skin from creating more oil, which can prevent or at least minimize the appearance of pimples.
You can get caffeine from coffee, tea or caffeinated soda. However, you should not overdo it as too much caffeine can cause other problems. Consult your physician for recommended dosage.
6. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil resembles the natural oils that our skin already produces and is a very effective moisturizer and conditioner. It also has antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent pimples from forming and getting worse.
You should always apply jojoba oil liberally on your skin to enjoy its benefits. Massage it in for better absorption.
Not only is Turmeric a great spice to add flavor to your meals, it can also be used to get rid of pimples. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help to soothe inflammation and prevent pimples from getting bigger.
You should mix turmeric with honey and rose water and apply it on the affected area for faster results. Always make sure that the mixture is not too strong as it may cause irritation.
Toothpaste contains ingredients that can dry out your pimples. It is also abrasive and can remove dead skin cells and unclog pores. However, you should not use toothpaste to treat pimples on a regular basis as it may cause your skin to dry, leading to other problems.
Potatoes are rich in antioxidants that can help control your acne. Cut a potato into small slices and place these on your face for 15 minutes. The starch in the potato will absorb excess oils from your skin and draw out impurities.
You should leave the pulp on your skin for about 15 minutes.
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural antacid and can help alleviate acne. It can also help to dry up your pimples. To use it, mix it with a little water to form a paste and apply directly on the affected area.
This should help to draw out the pus within a few hours of application.
Other Tips to Prevent Pimples:
1. Make sure you wash your face every day.
Do not go to sleep without washing your face. Not only does this prevent pimples but also reduces the risks of blackheads and whiteheads.
2. Always carry a handkerchief or tissue paper with you.
If you feel that a pimple is coming, gently dab the area with the handkerchief or tissue paper to prevent the pus from leaking and causing further acne and/or infection.
3. Never pick or squeeze your pimples as this may lead to scars and further complications.
If you start feeling the need to pick at your face, immediately apply your hands to your side and look away from your face. This action forces your mind to focus on something else.
4. Eat a healthy diet and limit the intake of greasy foods and sweet treats.
While this may not prevent pimples on its own, a balanced diet can help your body fight infection, which in turn can reduce breakouts and the severity of pimples.
5. Always wear clean clothes and linen as these can trap dirt and oil from your skin leading to clogged pores and pimples.
Staying clean is a great way to keep your skin healthy and pimple free.
6. Try to get an adequate amount of sleep as this helps to keep your body’s immune system strong and reduces stress.
7. Cut down on your caffeine intake as this can cause dehydration and dry out your skin.
8. Avoid touching or scratching your face as this can lead to irritation and infection.
9. Avoid smoking as this causes premature aging and decreases the blood flow to your skin.
10. If you feel stress or anxiety coming on, try some relaxation techniques to keep your mind at ease so that it doesn’t target your skin for attacks.
How to Prevent Acne with Diet?
There are several ways in which your diet can help to prevent acne from forming or worsening. Following a few steps can help minimize your risks of breakouts:
1. Avoid Drinking Too Much Alcohol
Alcohol contains a lot of calories and very few nutrients. It is also known to increase the production of sebum, which can worsen your existing pimples and cause more to form. Drinking more than 2 alcoholic beverages a day can lead to dehydration, which can irritate your skin even more.
If you do drink, always make sure to follow it with a glass of water.
2. Watch What You Eat
Some foods have been proven to worsen acne, such as fast food, high fat dairy foods, and sugary foods. Cutting down on or avoiding these can lessen the frequency and severity of your breakouts. Greasy foods in particular can clog your pores, causing blackheads or whiteheads to form.
3. Always Eat a Balanced Diet
Following a proper diet can have a significant effect on your skin’s quality and appearance. A balanced diet promotes clear and healthy skin while an unbalanced diet causes it to suffer. Make sure to avoid fatty foods and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
4. Limit your Intake of Dairy Products
Dairy has been known to worsen acne in some people, especially those who are lactose intolerant. If you do eat dairy, try eating low-lactose products such as aged cheese and yogurt, which contains the least amount of lactose. In addition, limit your intake of milk and milk-based products such as ice cream and milkshakes.
Sources & references used in this article:
Home Remedies for Acne by P Saini – Skin, 2018 – womenbuddha.com
Top 10 remedies to remove Pimples by V Lad – 1999 – Harmony
Home remedies: A handbook of herbal cures for common ailments by D Jain – keytoperfecthealth.com