Do You Have a Pineapple Allergy? Learn the Symptoms

What Is A Pineapple Allergy?

A pineapple allergy is a type of food allergy that affects the digestive system. People with pineapple allergies are allergic to the fruit’s flesh or juice. These individuals experience severe reactions when they eat certain types of pineapples such as the Hawaiian papaya, but also other varieties like the California Common and the Mexican red.

The reaction is caused by a protein called pyridoxine oxidase (PPO). PPO breaks down the vitamin B1, which is found in many fruits and vegetables. When the body cannot absorb enough of this vital nutrient, it causes symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramps.

Other signs include hives and swelling of your face and tongue.

In some cases, people may develop skin rashes after eating pineapple. But most commonly, these individuals will have difficulty digesting the fruit. They may experience extreme fatigue, headaches and muscle aches.

Some even suffer from seizures and even death.

How Can I Tell If My Child Has A Pineapple Allergy?

Pineapple allergy is one of the most common food allergies among children under 5 years old. Most children with pineapple allergy experience symptoms within hours after eating a pineapple or drinking its juice.

If you believe your child has a pineapple allergy, speak to your doctor about getting a proper diagnosis. A series of tests might be necessary before your child’s condition can be classified as an allergy.

Is It Possible To Be Allergic To Only Part Of The Pineapple?

Yes, it is entirely possible to have a fruit allergy that only affects certain parts of the food. In the case of the pineapple, an allergy to the flesh is extremely rare, but it can happen. If you have a pineapple allergy, it is almost certain that you will experience an allergic reaction when eating the fruit’s skin.

Can You Be Allergic To The Juice?

Yes, it is entirely possible to be allergic to the juice of a fruit. In fact, some people have reported suffering from anaphylaxis after drinking pineapple juice. These people could handle the fruit itself with no issue, but the juice was enough to cause major problems.

In some cases, people have felt fine after drinking canned pineapple juice. It is likely that the levels of PPO have been reduced in this form of the food.

What Is A Bromelain Allergy?

Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapples. If you have a bromelain allergy, you will have an allergic reaction when you come into contact with this substance.

Bromelain comes from the stem of a pineapple plant. It is most concentrated in the stem’s core and in the fruit’s core. However, the enzyme can be found throughout the plant and in smaller amounts in other fruits and vegetables.

It is commonly used as a meat tenderizer due to its ability to break down proteins.

Common signs of a bromelain allergy include difficulty breathing, swelling, hives and anaphylaxis.

How Do I Treat My Pineapple Allergy?

If you know that you or your child has a pineapple allergy, there are some things you can do to prevent complications.

First and foremost, if you have any signs of allergy, seek immediate medical attention. Do not try to self-medicate.

You should also keep any allergy medication on hand in case of an emergency. These drugs can reduce swelling and prevent your airways from closing up. In most cases, you will be given an epinephrine injection as soon as possible.

If you know that you are allergic to a certain food, always tell your doctor about your condition. They should take this into consideration when prescribing any medicine for you. In some cases, they may advise you not to take a certain medication or they might prescribe a substitute.

It’s also important to let people preparing your food about your condition. If you go out to eat and tell the chef about your allergy, they can prepare your meal separately to ensure you don’t come into contact with any potential allergens.

In some cases, you might be told to carry an antidote at all times. For example, if you know you are allergic to pineapple, you should always have an EpiPen with you.

Living with a food allergy can be difficult, but it’s not impossible. By taking the right precautions and being aware of your condition, you can live a relatively normal life. Just remember to always let people know about your condition and never try to self-medicate.

If you’re feeling unwell, always seek professional medical help.

Sources & references used in this article:

Food allergy knowledge, attitudes and beliefs: focus groups of parents, physicians and the general public by L Wilen, J Wilen – 2008 – Random House Digital, Inc.

Can what a child eats make him dull, stupid, or hyperactive? by RS Gupta, JS Kim, JA Barnathan, LB Amsden… – BMC pediatrics, 2008 – Springer

Beyond avoidance: the psychosocial impact of food allergies by WG Crook – Journal of Learning Disabilities, 1980 –

E-mail Form by C Feng, JH Kim – Clinical reviews in allergy & immunology, 2019 – Springer

Allergic contact dermatitis in dental professionals: effective diagnosis and treatment by TYFA IQ, B Hives, C Wheezing, A True, A Eggs, B Fish… –

Dr. Psenka’s Seasonal Allergy Solution: The All-natural 4-week Plan to Eliminate the Underlying Cause of Allergies and Live Symptom-free by CP Hamann, PA Rodgers, K Sullivan – The Journal of the American Dental …, 2003 – Elsevier

Impact of Oral Intake of Glucosylceramide Extracted from Pineapple on Xerostomia: A Double-Blind Randomized Cross-Over Trial by J Psenka – 2015 –

Documented Food Allergy Symptoms by M Murakami, Y Nishi, K Harada, T Masuzaki… – Nutrients, 2019 –