Are Rice Krispies Gluten-Free?
Rice Krispies are one of the most popular childhood cereals. They have been around since 1937 when they were invented by William J. Kellogg, a farmer from Kansas City, Missouri. While there are many different varieties of rice used in their production, the main ingredient is brown rice which contains less than 1% gluten (a protein found in grains). These days most types of rice contain no gluten at all!
There are several reasons why these cereals don’t contain any gluten:
1) Brown rice is naturally gluten-free.
There are two types of brown rice: long grain and short grain. Long grain means it grows longer than 3 feet, while short grain means it grows shorter than 2 feet. When a plant is grown with long or short grains, the plants will grow differently depending on what type of soil they’re growing in. For example, if a plant was grown with long grain rice, its leaves would be smaller and the stem would be thicker.
Short grain rice doesn’t produce seeds so it won’t germinate.
2) Brown rice is processed before being packaged into a cereal.
The most common types of brown rice are long-grain, short-grain, sweet and glutinous. Each type of rice has its own particular flavor, texture and cooking qualities. During the milling process, the outer husk, or bran, is removed along with the nutritious germ. This process can either be dry or wet.
3) Brown rice is put through a process called parching, which means it is cooked and dried.
When this is done all the moisture is taken from the grain so that it’s easier to break open during the next step of the process. If the grains are not dried out then a lot of heat and friction would be needed to break them open, and this would burn the grain.
4) The parching process helps to create a cereal that is crisp and easy to eat; however, it is also susceptible to becoming stale if not stored properly.
What is the best way to store brown rice?
Once your brown rice has been pared and cooked, it should be placed inside a container that is airtight. If you leave the cooked rice exposed to the air it will quickly become stale. In order to prevent this from happening, placing the cooked rice in a plastic zip-lock bag is the best way to store it. Once it has been placed into the bag, you should remove all the air inside before sealing it completely. Alternatively, you could also place the cooked rice in an airtight plastic container, such as those made from Tupperware.
What is the healthiest way to cook brown rice?
It’s easiest to cook brown rice using a rice cooker. These appliances have adjustable settings which allow you to prepare perfect rice every time. If you don’t have a rice cooker, you can prepare the rice on your stove-top using the absorption method.
1) Place 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water into a saucepan (a bigger pan will prevent the rice from scorching on the bottom).
2) Bring the rice and water to a boil.
3) Immediately place the saucepan off the heat and cover it.
Let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Do not remove the lid or stir the rice.
4) Spread the cooked rice onto a baking tray to make it cool faster, and then place it into an airtight container.
What should I look for when buying brown rice?
Always check the label when buying brown rice, as not all types are gluten-free.