Almonds are one of the most popular foods in the world. They have been used for centuries to make various products such as soap, candles, paper, foodstuffs etc. There are many varieties of almonds available all over the world. Sweet almonds (also known as Bajaj) are grown in India and Malaysia and they taste very similar to regular almonds but their flavor is sweeter due to being high in sugar content. Almond oil is another type of nut oil which is obtained from the nuts. It contains a small amount of saturated fat, but it does not cause any health problems when consumed regularly.
The following are some facts about Almond Oil for Hair:
1. Almonds contain good amounts of Vitamin E, which helps protect your skin against free radicals and other harmful substances that may damage it.
These substances can lead to premature aging and even cancer if left unchecked.
2. Almonds contain a large amount of protein, which helps maintain strong hair and scalp.
Protein is essential for healthy hair growth.
3. Almonds are rich in magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and potassium which contribute to the maintenance of healthy bones and teeth.
4. A diet consisting mainly of nuts can improve blood circulation throughout the body thereby improving overall health conditions like heart disease, diabetes mellitus or high cholesterol levels.
5. Almond oil can be used to make soaps, lotions and massage oils.
6. Almond oil can be used in cooking as it has a mild flavor and a sweet aroma.
In fact this is the most common way in which it is used. It is used to flavor chicken dishes and is great for making marzipan desserts.
7. It is also good for use in salads as a dressing as it helps bring out the flavor of the various ingredients.
8. Almond oil is one of the most commonly used carrier oils that are added to essential oils to create massage oils and aromatic baths.
9. It is absorbed well by the skin when applied topically.
This is mainly due to the fact that it is easily absorbed by the skin and does not clog pores like other oils.
10. It helps relieve dry and cracked skin and also helps treat sunburn, minor burns and small wounds faster.
The following are some warnings related to using Almond Oil for Hair:
1. If you have a nut allergy then you should avoid using any oils that are derived from nuts as they may cause allergic reactions.
2. While pure almond oil is safe for internal use it should only be taken under the guidance of a medical professional.
3. Pregnant women and nursing mothers should not consume this oil in any quantity as not enough research has been done on its effects on a fetus or a newborn.
4. People with a history of suffering from kidney or gall stones should avoid using this oil as it may worsen their condition.
5. People with diabetes and heart disease should only consume this oil under strict doctor supervision.
Almond Oil for Hair:
There are several ways in which you can use almond oil to improve the health and look of your hair. Here are some of the most popular ones:
1. Pre-Shampoo Treatment: Before shampooing your hair, apply a small amount of almond oil on your palm and run it through your scalp and onto the hair.
Rub it in well and leave it on for about half an hour. Shampoo your hair as usual. This treatment will help to remove all the dirt, grime and everything else that may be clogging up your scalp. It will leave your hair feeling squeaky clean and new again!
2. Shampoo Additive: Almond oil can also be used as an additive to your shampoo.
This can be done in two ways:
a) You can mix a few drops of almond oil with your regular shampoo and use it as usual. This will help to strengthen your hair and keep the scalp nourished.
b) You can simply apply a few drops of the oil directly onto your scalp and massage it in well before using the shampoo as usual. This helps to moisturize the scalp and provide essential nutrients.
3. After Shampoo Treatment: Once you are done shampooing your hair, rinse the shampoo off completely and apply some almond oil onto your palm and run it through your hair.
Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash it off with water. This will leave your hair smooth, shiny and clean in addition to protecting it from damage.
Almond Oil for Skin:
1. Facial Moisturizer: Almond oil is one of the best natural moisturizers available and is great for treating dry skin.
For best results, apply the oil at night before going to sleep and leave it on over night. Wash it off the next morning. You will notice a considerable improvement in the texture and feel of your skin. It will instantly feel softer and look healthier.
2. Hand and Body Moisturizer: Like we said, almond oil is the perfect moisturizer for your hair and skin.
For best results, mix a few drops of the oil with some organic raw sugar and apply it all over your hands and body. Massage it well into the skin and leave it on for about half an hour before washing it off. This will leave your skin feeling nourished, moisturized and smooth.
3. Massage Oil: Almond oil is a great natural massage oil that helps to relieve stress and keep the skin healthy and moisturized.
For best results, fill a basin with hot water and a few drops of the oil. Get in the basin and relax as the oil works its magic on your body.
4. Make Up Remover: If you are tired of using chemical filled make up removers, try substituting them with almond oil.
It is a natural and effective alternative that will not only leave your skin and hair healthy but will also cleanse it of all dirt and make up. For best results, soak a cotton ball in some almond oil and sweep it over your eyes and face to remove all traces of dirt and make up.
5. Massage Oil for Your Partner: If your partner is stressed out or tense, then almond oil makes a great natural massage oil.
Simply heat up the oil a little and add in a few drops of lavender essential oil to create a soothing and relaxing environment for your partner.
Almond Oil for Teeth:
1. Toothpaste: Dental care is an important part of every day life.
Sources & references used in this article:
Herbal cosmetics: used for skin and hair by K Sumit, S Vivek, S Sujata, B Ashish – Inven. J, 2012 – researchgate.net
Skin and hair aerosol foam preparations containing an alkyl polyglycoside and vegetable oil by R Mueller, K Seidel, A Kaczich, D Hollenberg… – US Patent …, 2000 – Google Patents
Hair treatment composition and method by DM Vernon – US Patent 4,999,187, 1991 – Google Patents
Hair cleansing conditioner by JA Deane – US Patent 6,723,309, 2004 – Google Patents
Assessment of the ototoxicity of almond oil in a chinchilla animal model by E Peleva, S Mourad, D Citra, SJ Daniel – The Laryngoscope, 2011 – Wiley Online Library