Human Food That Can Kill A Dog:
1) Fish Oil (fish oil supplements)
2) Dried Herbs And Spices (e.g., oregano, thyme, basil, cayenne pepper)
3) Garlic Powder & Onion Powder (garlic powder and onion powder are poisonous to dogs; garlic can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Dogs have been known to die from eating these foods. There are no warnings or precautions against this type of food.
4) Alcoholic Beverages (alcoholic beverages contain ethanol which can be fatal to dogs.
5) Prescription Drugs (prescriptions drugs containing dangerous ingredients such as barbiturates, tranquilizers, anticholinergics, and other narcotics can kill a dog.
6) Certain Medicines (some medicines may not only be lethal but they may also affect the brain and cause death.
Examples include the following: phenobarbital, chlorpromazine, codeine, diazepam, ethinyl estradiol pills, fluoxetine tablets, hydrocodone/acetaminophen combination pills, meperidine tablets and tramadol tablets).
7) Pharmaceutical Products (the use of prescription drugs to treat diseases such as cancer is highly risky because these drugs can damage the liver and cause death.
Other drugs such as acetaminophen can cause liver damage if not taken with caution).
Use extreme caution when administering pharmaceuticals to your pets. Always seek assistance from a veterinarian before doing so.
8) Certain Food Products (chocolate, onions, and garlic are all dangerous to dogs, and can lead to death).
9) Grapes And Raisins (raisins and grapes can kill a dog due to their toxicity.
Even small amounts of raisins and grapes can cause kidney failure in a dog, and even consumption of one small packet of raisins can be lethal).
10) xylitol (ingesting xylitol can lead to a drop in blood sugar, and even liver failure. This sugar substitute is often found in sugar-free chewing gum, toothpaste, and other common household products. Even small amounts of this product can be lethal).
Dog Food That Dogs Can Eat:
1) Eggs (with or without the shell).
2) Cottage Cheese (small amounts).
3) Bread (white bread, and toasted bread are safe).
4) Peanut Butter (creamy or chunky).
5) Dry Cereal (like Chex).
6) Plain Cooked Meat (bologna, hot dogs, deli turkey, chicken, hamburger).
7) Plain Cooked Fish.
8) Plain Pasta (elbow macaroni).
9) Popsicles (be sure to check for ice pop sticks).
As you can see, there are some human foods that can be dangerous to a dog, and even to cats as well. Most of the time, it is important that you are aware of what you are feeding your pet. In addition, a general rule of thumb is if the item you are feeding your dog has a life span shorter than your dog – don’t feed it to your dog! For example, it is unwise to feed a dog food that contains bacon bits because bacon bits go bad rather quickly.
Learn what the common human foods are that can be potentially harmful to your pet, and you will be doing a great deed in extending your animal’s life.
Sources & references used in this article:
Prevention of sudden cardiac death by dietary pure ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in dogs by GE Billman, JX Kang, A Leaf – Circulation, 1999 – Am Heart Assoc
Nutrition, care, and behavior of captive prairie dogs by JL Hoogland, DA James, L Watson – … clinics of North America: Exotic animal …, 2009 – Elsevier
Some food toxic for pets by N Kovalkovičová, I Šutiaková, J Pistl… – Interdisciplinary …, 2009 – content.sciendo.com
Laetrile toxicity studies in dogs by ES Schmidt, GW Newton, SM Sanders, JP Lewis… – JAMA, 1978 – jamanetwork.com
Taboos related to dog bite in an urban area of Kancheepuram District of Tamil Nadu, India by S Chinnaian, G Sekaran… – Journal of clinical and …, 2015 – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Why do Dogs Eat Poop? by LA Walden – mallardcreekvet.com
TOP 10 HUMAN FOOD TOXINS POISONOUS TO DOGS AND CATS by JA Lee – SMALL ANIMAL PROGRAM – ovma.org
Bad dogs: why do coyotes and other canids become unruly? by RH Schmidt, RM Timm – Wildlife Damage Management …, 2007 – digitalcommons.unl.edu