5 Good Yoga Stretches For Your Arms
1. Handstand Push Ups:
2. Plank Pose: Forward Fold:
3. Tree Pose (Standing): Kneeling Position:
4. Bridge Pose (Knee To Chest): Standing Position With Hands On Top Of Head And Feet Tied Off Behind You:
5. Warrior I: Warrior II:
Handstand Push Ups
Plank Pose: Forward Fold
Tree Pose (Standing)
Bridge Pose (Knee To Chest)
Warrior I: Warrior II:
Hands On Top Of Head And Feet Tied Off Behind You
The hands are placed on top of your head and feet tied off behind you. This position helps to reduce tension in the shoulder girdle and traps.
If done correctly, it will also make your wrists less likely to get injured during a fall or other strenuous activity. The pose is good for relieving stress and anxiety.
Yoga Strap Stretches For Shoulders
You need a strap to perform these stretches.
1. Seated Forward Bend: You can do this pose while sitting in a chair, on the ground with your legs out straight or even standing as shown in the picture above (use a strap looped around a window).
Gently pull the elbows back while breathing deeply and hold for at least 30 seconds.
2. Downward Facing Dog: Loop the strap around your foot or ankle and hold each end with both hands.
Inhale and look up towards the ceiling and exhale as you bend your elbows, pulling your shoulders back. Hold for at least 30 seconds.
3. Warrior II: Grab one end of the strap in each hand and step your left foot back about 3 to 4 feet (depending on your height).
Turn your back foot in about 30 degrees and your front foot out 90 degrees. Inhale and lift your chest up and bring the strap over your head as you exhale.
Bend your right elbow and draw your shoulder back. Tilt your head slightly to the left to look down your back. Hold for at least 30 seconds and then repeat on the other side. You can also do this pose one arm at a time if you find it too difficult to do both arms at the same time.
Sources & references used in this article:
Eyes-free yoga: an exergame using depth cameras for blind & low vision exercise by K Rector, CL Bennett, JA Kientz – Proceedings of the 15th International …, 2013 – dl.acm.org
Travel Yoga: Stretches for Planes, Trains, Automobiles, and More! by D Zeer – 2010 – books.google.com
Understanding and preventing yoga injuries by KL MacLean – 2014 – Albert Whitman and Company
Office yoga: Simple stretches for busy people by L Fishman, E Saltonstall, S Genis – International Journal of Yoga …, 2009 – iaytjournals.org