What Is Beard Dandruff?
Beard dandruff (or trichosis) is a common skin condition affecting both men and women. It’s caused when the bacteria Staphylococcus epidermidis grows on your hair follicles, causing them to become infected with bacteria. This infection spreads through close contact with other people or animals that have been bitten by these infected individuals. The bacteria are usually spread through close contact such as kissing, sharing towels, using the same toilet seat, etc.
How Do I Get Rid Of Beard Dandruff?
There are several methods that can help you get rid of this annoying problem:
1. Shampooing Your Hair – Shampoos containing sulfates and/or alcohols will kill off any bacteria growing on your scalp.
However, they may leave behind residue which can cause breakage if used daily. If you use shampoo regularly, then there is no need to worry about breaking strands of hair.
2. Using Conditioner – A good conditioner will help keep your hair healthy and moisturized.
Use a conditioner once or twice a week to ensure that your scalp gets all the necessary nutrients it needs to stay clean and free from infections.
3. Olive Oil – Use extra virgin olive oil to help eliminate any flakes building up in your beard.
Put a few drops of the oil in your hand and massage it into your beard and the rest of your face. Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing off with a washcloth and warm water.
4. Tea Tree Oil – Derived from the Australian tea tree, this essential oil will help eliminate dandruff dead and dry skin cells.
It’s one of the most powerful essential oils you can use to fight off dandruff.
5. Eat Healthy – Getting the proper amount of nutrients is important for your hair to grow in strong and healthy.
A healthy diet will keep your hair and skin looking great!
How Can I Prevent Beard Dandruff From Coming Back?
Once you get rid of beard dandruff, it’s important to prevent it from coming back. Here are some suggestions you can use to keep your dandruff at bay:
1. Shower Daily – While it’s tempting to shower every other day, doing so will cause your skin and hair to get clogged with dirt and oils.
This can worsen conditions such as beard dandruff.
2. Don’t Share Towels – While this should go without saying, using a towel that has been used by someone else can spread bacteria from their skin into yours.
3. Moisturize – Use a good moisturizer on a daily basis to keep your skin and beard from getting too dry.
This is especially important in the winter when the heating inside dries out the air.
4. Get Regular Checkups – See your doctor on a regular basis to get yourself checked for dandruff or any other skin conditions.
While this may seem like a hassle, it can help you prevent bigger issues in the future.
5. See a Dermatologist – If your dandruff is severe, you may need to see a dermatologist.
They can prescribe medication that will get rid of your dandruff quickly. You may even be able to get an appointment within a week or two if you don’t want to wait until your primary care physician can see you.
Hopefully, this post will help you to get rid of any beard dandruff that’s been bugging you. Dandruff isn’t a serious skin condition, but it can be highly irritating and embarrassing for some people. Feel free to leave any questions or comments below!
Useful Beard Resource: The Beard Guide Handbook: A check list to guide you on what to buy, and how to grow and maintain a beard! Learn tips on growing a thick healthy beard as well as choosing the right beard style for your face shape and more!
After reading this post you might be interested in checking out this resource I’ve developed for men wanting to grow their beards. It’s called The Beard Guide Handbook and you can find out more information here.
Check Out Some Of My Other Popular Articles
You can also check out some of my other popular articles such as: treating acne, types of razor cuts and nicks and how to get rid of belly fat.
The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library © 2011 Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
The Internet Doctor Jr. Medicine: Dandruff.
Sources & references used in this article:
How to get rid of dandruff according to research by M Bohl – getroman.com
A Youth Ministry Crash Course: Everything You Need to Know from Adolescence to Zits by R Bundschuh, EG Von Trutzschler – 1996 – books.google.com
all I really need to know I learned from watching Star Trek by D Marinaccio – 2012 – books.google.com
: BIOM8–Skin Conditioning Oil by A Berkman, N Bakalar – 2001 – Grand Central Publishing
EFFECTS OF HOMOEOPATHIC REMEDIES IN THE MANAGEMENT OF DANDRUFF by DJ Wong, HY Chang – dandruffdeconstructed.com