Argan Oil for Skin Health Benefits:
1) Argan oil is rich in essential fatty acids (EFAs).
EFAs are fats found naturally in plants and animals. They help regulate blood sugar levels, cholesterol, hormones, immune system and many other functions. Studies have shown that argan oil improves insulin sensitivity which helps reduce your risk of diabetes. It may also improve blood lipids such as LDL and HDL cholesterol.
2) Argan oil contains vitamin E, which has been proven to prevent wrinkles and age spots.
Vitamin E may also protect against free radical damage to DNA and increase cell regeneration. These benefits make it one of the best natural sunscreens available today.
3) Argan oil is rich in antioxidants called flavonoids.
Flavonoids are powerful anti-aging agents that fight cancer cells while promoting healthy skin cells and collagen production.
4) Argan oil is rich in minerals including magnesium, calcium, potassium and zinc.
Magnesium and calcium are important for proper bone growth and mineral absorption. Potassium plays a role in maintaining normal nerve function. Zinc helps maintain strong bones and helps with wound healing. These minerals play an important role in preventing skin aging due to their antioxidant properties.
5) Argan oil contains a unique fat called SDA or short chain desaturate fatty acid.
It has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects that may prevent skin aging. SDA is not found in any other plant so it makes argan oil unique among plant oils.
6) Argan oil helps strengthen the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
This may help prevent dry skin, rashes, and skin irritation due to its protective qualities.
7) Argan oil is effective in treating skin disorders such as atopic dermatitis and psoriasis.
It helps improve the skin’s overall health which helps prevent conditions such as eczema, acne, or excessive dryness.
8) Argan oil contains betalain antioxidants such as betanin and indicaxanthin.
These help protect against sun damage and may even help repair sun-damaged skin.
9) Argan oil is effective in treating a dry, itchy, or flaking scalp.
It can also be used as a hair conditioner and detangler.
10) Argan oil helps eliminate dry patches, rashes, and peeling on the legs and arms caused by microbes.
11) Argan oil can help reduce the appearance of scars by repairing damaged skin tissue and increasing blood flow to the area.
12) Argan oil may help slow the development of wrinkles by reducing inflammation and oxidation. Over time, it can help diminish the appearance of existing wrinkles on your face and skin.
13) Argan oil is a good massage oil. It is absorbed quickly into the skin. It does not leave behind any greasy residue. This makes it a good oil for people with oily skin.
14) Argan oil can be used as a natural deodorant because it contains antimicrobial properties that help fight odor causing microbes on the skin.
15) Argan oil is a good choice for people who are sensitive to perfume and other chemicals in fragrance oils.
16) Argan oil is non-comedogenic so it will not clog your pores. It can be used on all skin types even if you have oily or acne-prone skin.
Sources & references used in this article:
Argan oil: Occurrence, composition and impact on human health by Z Charrouf, D Guillaume – European Journal of Lipid Science …, 2008 – Wiley Online Library
Physicochemical characteristics, nutritional properties, and health benefits of argan oil: A review by A El Abbassi, N Khalid, H Zbakh… – Critical reviews in food …, 2014 – Taylor & Francis
Design, characterization, and clinical evaluation of argan oil nanostructured lipid carriers to improve skin hydration by DM Tichota, AC Silva, JMS Lobo… – International journal of …, 2014 – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
The effect of dietary and/or cosmetic argan oil on postmenopausal skin elasticity by KQ Boucetta, Z Charrouf, H Aguenaou… – … interventions in aging, 2015 – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov